Friday, February 4, 2011

Hopscotch Asia

Hopscotch Asia is a game I played, basically it's a cheap way to travel around Asia, especially if you have time constraints or a limited budget. I used Kuala Lumpur as my base and flew from there. Air Asia is my carrier of choice as I found them to have the best deals when I was looking for flight.

It's probably a good time to point out that I booked all my flights 6 months in advance and planned my trip quite well. I allocated time to each country I wanted to visit and booked accommodation in popular tourist locations. I usually stayed three or four days in the tourist area, which gave me enough time to find alternative local accommodation or group up with other backpacker that I had met.

Anyway, the way hopscotch works is you find the cheapest flight from each of the destinations you visit. For example.

Kuala Lumpur to Phuket
Phuket to Koh Samui
Koh Samui to Bangkok
Bangkok to Siem Reap
Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City
Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi
Hanoi to Hong Kong
Hong Kong to Macau
Macau to Beijing 

Most of the time, the cheapest flight will also have the shortest flight times, but it could also be a popular flight. The itinerary that I suggested above, is a great starting point for someone looking to travel around South East Asia and see the most popular cities. Below is a map of the region,for your reference.


4 comments:

  1. Great itinerary! This was generally my course of action with India, however I only booked one month in advance :X.

    I can't wait to see some pictures of your travels :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is realy cheap and very nice,we waiting the

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice planning dude haha, I could never plan out this much stuff in advanced. I'm way to compulsive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sean. I have to plan and at least know which city I will be in and when, but once I get into each city, it's all off the cuff from there.

    ReplyDelete