Saturday, February 5, 2011

Protip - Cheap accommodation

Just a quick post on cheap accommodation. I obviously try and keep accommodation costs down on my trip because you only really sleep in your hotel, most of the time you should be out exploring or at the beach.

In saying that though, I will always check reviews of the accommodation where ever I go. The one time I didn't follow my advice, I paid for it, quite literally. On my first day in Kuala Lumpur, I booked a hotel overnight because I had to fly out the next morning. I decided to go cheap, spent about US$30 and let's just say, it wasn't up to my usual standard, the roaches didn't seem to mind though.

I reluctantly stayed the night, but the issue was that I had booked the same hotel on my way back home for a week and there was no way I would be staying in those conditions for a week. Unfortunately, the only other accommodation that I could find was at Hotel Maya, a 5 star boutique spa resort. It cost US$160 a night. So, I had to adjust my spending throughout my whole trip to cover the additional expense.

Well, that's the thing about traveling. Nothing is ever certain, which is what it makes it so enjoyable.

25 comments:

  1. Sounds really exciting. I would love to spend a couple of months backpacking in Nepal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a look at Nepal. I want to try and get there on my next tour of the region, which will hopefully be in July this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to backpack across Japan. Sounds like you're doing the next best thing! Have fun, man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not really a traveling person, but maybe you can convince me otherwise. I've always wanted to live in Australia with the kangaroos...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. I've always been curious about doing something like this. But I hate change, traveling, flying, and people in general. What would you say about the experience in general? Totally awesome or? And how much of a budget did you have?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No reviews on hotels in West Africa :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be honest, generally I don't get on well with new people. However, when I am overseas I just deal with it. Most other travelers are in a similar situation, so it's fairly easy to meet people and get on with them.

    My best advice is to go for it. No matter what happens you will never regret it.

    Budget wise, I am going to be doing a post on that soon, so stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the past couple of years I've toyed with the thought of traveling overseas. Just to see the rest of the world outside of our small country.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i havent traveled in years :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to travel to Korea and see my Beloved SNSD, live hahaa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Foreigners always get ripped off in hotels in Asia. I'm from Asia. We over charge like the plague to foreigners - they can afford to travel to Asia, they can afford to pay for hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey at least you had a place to sleep :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Chang, it is true though. I remember asking one of the staff in Thailand how much she earned. She said 3900 baht a month. At the time I had just converted my weeks spending money and I had 15000 baht in my pocket. I felt pretty bad about it though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to know! I'm planning on going to Japan and staying in some hostels, this is great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. In India, they say that the hotels that have reviews online are the costliest ones...word of mouth is better..

    anyways, always good to know

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool blog!

    Following!

    blundersfrom6foot2.blogspot.com
    androidnews4u.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always wanted to travel to Asia. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never been outside the US. I really want o go somewhere in Europe or Japan someday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I might go traveling the world after I get through with America.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to do a road trip across the US at some stage, but I have looked into it and it works out way too expensive. I can afford to stay one month in the US or three months in South America. Better value for money in South America.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That makes it all the more exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Backpacking Asia? That is so, so cool! O_o :)
    Following and supporting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. To be honest, you made me laugh with this post. I loved it, haha. "...Let's just say, it wasn't up to my usual standard, the roaches didn't seem to mind though." Loved it.

    ReplyDelete