Sunday, February 6, 2011

Protip - Scooter Hire

Just a quick note on scooter hire within Thailand. Scooting is the best way to explore the local area, it's cheap, easy and fun to do, especially if there are 2 or 3 of your in a group. We had a group of 6 scooters, the locals probably just laughed at us. Oh well. When you are hiring, you need to give your passport to the dealer to keep as collateral while you have their scooter. When you bring it back you get your passport back. Don't forget to carry a photocopy of your passport on you at all times. Below is a list of things your should remember:

  1.  Do not hire a scooter in Phuket, as there are known links to the mafia and passport counterfeiting.
  2. When you do get your scooter, ensure that you take photos of it, especially in areas that are damaged. Otherwise you will end up paying to repair the damage.
  3. Wear your helmet, the last thing you want is to have an accident without one.
  4. Barter, especially if you are in a group. Barter on price or even say you want the fuel included in the price. 

21 comments:

  1. Dude I love to go scooting someday in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa.. in India I never left my passport anywhere. Not a chance. I'm surprised they had you do that.

    Photocopies are common I've heard, as well as seen. But to leave your passport there? I'm surprised you even got it back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in love with Thailand. My wet dream is to go there for couple of months and tour the country on a motorbike

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tasty You have to leave your passport there. I know, it is a bit scary. I got mine back no problem though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I would love to visit Thailand sometime. Not to mention I've never driven a real scooter around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Silverson I had never driven a scooter around, only motorbikes. The two are very different, I came within 2 inches of a major crash down a hill, lol. I was more careful after that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thailand would be an awesome place to go. I might need a pocket version of this blog to go with too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somehow the connection between the mafia and scooters tickles me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. cars are expensive over there so a scooter is the best form of transport. or if your eco friendly im sure a donkey would suffice :L

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scooters are beast. They can go forever on like a gallon of gas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would've never given away my passport. I am very surprised you got it back, just like Tasty. Does it work this way in other countries?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never had problems in china renting a scooter or a motorcycle.

    of course you schouldn't drive the bike to trash, but its woderfull, and no one asks ^^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sheesh. I didn't think renting a scooter could be dangerous. The fun of using one makes up for it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love driving so much I'd probably rent a car anyway lol. Useful tips though keep it up :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks a lot for this information i didnt know it was this hard renting a scouter over there. but hell they sure are fun

    ReplyDelete
  16. that sounds like fun but i could never hand over my passport to anyone thats crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice scooters sound like a fun and easy way of travel. Gotta write these tips down if I ever rent any!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the good info. I didn't know hotel prices could be that reasonable. Definitely worth looking into specifics before I go myself this summer.

    ReplyDelete